Wednesday, May 6, 2020

There are examples where even the wisest of men can lose their head over a woman, but I think that the patience you have exhibited all this time, never allowing your relationship to become a source of malicious gossip, is evidence of your outstanding character, which is superior to others your age.
--Murasaki Shikibu, The Tale of Genji

Unfortunately, it's not a stretch to think that someone's discretion may be compromised by the rumors swirling around you. To be honest, I believe that the rumors are a result of how others have treated you. And if you really want to be fair to your sister, and to compensate for all of that bad press, I'd be more than happy to hear your side of the story.


The last time I saw you, you were bedragg





"Everything you've done has been selfless, a complete stranger wouldn't have done such a thing for you. That man who used you to get something in the past, that wasn't you, isn't your friend, that person isn't your family, and it will be a matter of time before he realizes he was wrong.


"You'll understand when the time comes that you have no right to hurt yourself, and no one will blame you







You've been very good at talking to yourself lately. Though your father and I both object to your obsession with dangerous arts, I believe you are good for something else. Just maybe, other people will look at you differently.


However, I wish you and Bartel are not as far apart as I have made it seem today. I believe I am starting to get my money's worth out of you."


And with that, the shopkeeper

No comments: